Monday, June 15, 2009

Me, Rogerio, & Ronaldo (Part I)


For starters I am an American and a soccer fan. I travel to England a couple times a year to see some games mostly Manchester United games (yes, I still support Joey Barton). What follows is my account of my trip to Manchester this past May, but to tell the story I will have to go back to November 2008.

November 1, 2008 I met a friend of mine for dinner at La Vina (which is now Stay) in Alderely Edge. I had arrived earlier in the week for a trip with some other supporters. We had already seen the game versus West Ham and just saw us squeak out a win against Hull City earlier in the day. I had also gone up to Newcastle on my own to take in their game versus West Brom (yes I did see Joey score, but I was at the other side).

Once at the restaurant we were seated upstairs and our waiter turned out to be a man by the name of Rogerio Mendes. Now this name may not mean anything to anyone and he may just seem like a normal waiter. Hower, this normal waiter was anything but. He is to this day and good friend, maybe even one of the best friends, of one Cristiano Ronaldo. Yes, that Ronaldo, World Player of the Year Ronaldo. Known for his step-overs, fits on the pitch, the occasional dive, stupid choices in women, and of course his recent move to the evil team.

Once we finished our meal, we ended up hanging out with Rogerio and a friend of his at Gusto, which is just down the road from La Vina. After that we ended up going to Rogerio's apartment in Wilmslow, which down from the Tesco/Marks & Spencers complex in Handforth. There we were given autograph cards of Ronaldo and Anderson. Rogerio also gave me his match ticket for the West Ham game, which states "Mr C. Ronaldo" on it. Ok, so no problems right? Well it gets a bit confusing and well interesting from this point on.

No comments: