Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Barton: I will repay Toon Fans


JOEY Barton has vowed to repay Newcastle United fans after his stint behind bars resulted in a summer of adverse publicity for the Magpies.


Barton broke his silence tonight after a stretch in prison to say: “I don’t want to comment on speculation but I don’t want to leave Newcastle because I owe the club and fans a lot for everything I have put them through.”


A late bid for Barton from an unnamed top 10 Premier League side – thought to be FA Cup holders Portsmouth - did not go through with the Scouse midfielder present at St James’s Park for the reserve side’s 2-1 defeat against Sunderland.


Barton made his return in Saturday’s 3-0 loss at Arsenal when he came on as sub at the Emirates. But despite the player hoping for a quiet return an unprovoked clash with Samir Nasri caused ugly scenes at the end of the game in North London.


No comments: